Research in a 2001 issue of the Journal of Experimental Nephrology revealed that sodium bicarbonate could significantly help with management of Polycystic Kidney Disease, commonly known as PKD.
In the research, short-term administration of sodium bicarbonate was able to lessen the risk of developing PKD in lab rats. It was also found to diminish enlargement of cysts on the kidneys and prevent inflammation, uremia and chronic fibrosis.
What Is PKD?
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a specific form of CKD causes cysts to develop on the kidneys.
- The abundance of cysts on the kidneys can cause damage over time.
- Symptoms include blood in urine, back pain and a feeling of fullness in the abdomen.
What Is Sodium Bicarbonate And What Are A Few Of Its Benefits?
- Sodium bicarbonate improves kidney health and can help improve many kidney conditions, including a common complication of chronic kidney disease called metabolic acidosis.
- Reduces heartburn: Sodium bicarbonate is a common ingredient in antacids, which are often used to reduce heartburn and treat stomach ulcers. If you don’t have issues with heart burn its recommended to take enteric coated sodium bicarbonate to cause stomach acid issues over time.
- Most importantly, sodium bicarbonate delays kidney decline, alkalizes the body and helps reduce potassium levels. All important factors, that when addressed, improve kidney health.