A new study from the International Urology and Nephrology Journal uncovered some exciting new benefits of the Açai berry, which originates in Brazil’s Amazon region. Namely, how its unique properties can help to improve many of the most problematic symptoms of chronic kidney disease.
Some of the main components Açai berries noted for their potential therapeutic benefit in CKD include:
- Anthocyanins, water-soluble vacuolar pigments which are found in many richly colored berries and which boast a number of health benefits.
- A-Tocopherol, a type of Vitamin E.
- Prebiotics, or fuel for “good bacteria,” which in the açai is found in its anthocyanins.
Bearing these different qualities in mind, the study sought to understand how they could be applied toward the benefit of chronic kidney disease patients. The chief problems facing CKD patients which could possibly be effectively countered by regular açai berry consumption included:
- Oxidative stress, which leads to cardiovascular disease. This can be countered by açai berries’ anti-oxidant qualities, which as a bonus, also serve as an anti-aging agent.
- Inflammation, which is widespread in CKD patients and causes swelling, aches and pains. This can be off-set by the plentiful flavonoids (anti-inflammatory agents) inherent in açai berries.
- Dysbiosis, or, microbial imbalance which can lead to bacteria disrupting digestive function and which can be remedies by the prebiotic agents in açai berries.
This, along with many other health-promoting effects have led researchers to believe the açai berry along with dishes and drinks made with açai as a primary ingredient could provide a tremendous benefit to CKD patients struggling with inflammation, digestive upset and other symptoms.
If you want more information about which fruits you should eat if you have CKD, such as the açai berry, you’ll want to check out our definitive guide to diet as a way to help support normal kidney function. It’s called the All-Natural Kidney Health & Kidney Function Restoration Program and it’s a book you’ll definitely want on your shelf to help you make better decisions regarding diet and nutrition.
And, be sure to check us out all across the web:
Got feedback? We’d love to hear it!