Once again, experts are warning of the dangers of having plants and owning pets like dogs and cats. While it is possible for dogs and cats to occupy the same environment as plants, owners have to be very careful not to allow their furry friends anywhere near potentially toxic plants, dogs and cats have a tendency to put just about anything into their mouths and this includes plants.
Unfortunately, even small amounts of these plants, like lilies can cause terrible damage to their kidney as possibly kill them. It is important to know which plants are safe around plants and which plants can kill.
The kidneys are a critical part of the human body and in the bodies of animals like dogs and cats. Serving as filters for the blood where toxins and waste are removes and then expelled from the body through urine. Those who suffer from chronic kidney disease have suffered damage to their kidneys and they are no longer able to process this blood.
If they can, it is at greatly reduced levels and not enough for a healthy life. If the kidneys are not able to process blood, the toxins and wastes build up in the blood. Damage to organs follows and eventually death. Kidney disease occurs when the kidneys function becomes inhibited and they are no longer able to do their job.
Toxins and waste products begin to build up in the dog and they will show signs of deterioration. There is no way to cure this condition and or a way to reverse it. For many dogs, this goes undetected until other organs begin to malfunction, a sign the disease has progressed into more severe stages.
A major step in protecting your pets is knowing which plants to keep away from your pets. Indoor plants toxic to cats include the Easter lily, tiger lily, day lily and Dieffenbachia, known as spotted dumbcane. If a cat were to eat a lily, treatment must be undertaken within 24 hours to avoid serious kidney damage.
Cats which develop kidney disease will show signs including increased drinking and urination, vomiting, weight loss and bad breath. Dieffenbachia and kalanchoe, a small flowering succulent that can cause vomiting, heart problems and convulsions are both highly toxic to dogs.
In dogs, signs of kidney disease will show signs including dehydration and a tendency to be lethargic and have poor appetite. The appetite of the dog will wax and wane and they will begin to noticeably lose weight. Other symptoms include, bad breath with a chemical odor, oral ulcers, and pale appearance. Vomiting tends to show up later, but dogs with chronic kidney disease are likely to have ulcers in their stomach. This will lead to blood in their vomit.
But, pets who have eaten toxic plants may not show any signs at all. There are other plants which are very toxic to animals. Any and all parts of sago palms, also called cycads; the seeds containing the most toxic material. Oleander, a pink flowering shrub, has toxins and should be kept away as it can cause GI tract issues or heart problems. Brunfelsia, a plant with purple flowers also known as yesterday, today and tomorrow, is also poisonous. This is especially true for to dogs and it grows wild in Florida and in gardens all over the Southern US.
Common tulips, azaleas, rhododendron, yews and castor bean plants need to also be kept out of the reach of pets. Experts advice to study the ASPCA website’s poisonous plants page for information on other plants. Go to www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants. Pets having
eaten the toxic plants should be taken to an animal emergency clinic immediately. Additionally, owners can call 888-426-4435.
And, for more information on different steps you can take to support normal kidney function in your cat or dog, please check out our products Kidney Restore for Cats & Dogs and Kidney Shield for Cats & Dogs, along with our Pinterest.