The One Fruit Guaranteed To Damage Your Dog’s Kidneys

Experts from the American Kennel Club (AKC) are warning dog lovers not to share grapes with their dogs, pets who already have a tendency to put everything into their mouths. While there are some human foods which dogs can eat, there are others, particularly grapes which are simply poisonous.

Grapes are so toxic to dogs, eating them can lead to acute or possibly fatal kidney failure. Just
like in humans, a dog’s kidneys filter out the blood of wastes and toxins. They allow the dog’s body to expel these wastes and toxins through urine. If the kidneys failure or their capacity to operate is reduced, the toxins and wastes build up in the dog causing organ damage and eventually death.

The AKC also listed raisins as toxic as well.
Experts say these two foods are even more dangerous to dogs than prescription medications. One study showed of 43 dogs who ingested grapes only 53% of them surived. In addition, the failure of their kidneys because of these foods are not limited to a particular breed. Experts do not know what substance in grapes causes the damage.

If your dog has ingested a grape or raisin it is important to get them immediate medical help.
Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, lethargy, abdominal tenderness, changes in thirst and changes in the frequency of urination. Are you passionate about keeping your pet’s kidneys in the best working order possible? Be sure to check out Healthy Kidney Inc.’s very own top-selling pet kidney supplements on our shop page.