Children With Low Levels Of These Vitamins Could Be Vulnerable To Chronic Kidney Problems

Although there are few studies which have exclusively followed the special vitamin needs of children with kidney issues, a recent study has aimed to change that by measuring levels of zinc, copper, selenium, folate, vitamins A, E and B12 in the blood of 112 children who were between stages 3-5 of CKD. Median eGFR amongst the children was 28. 

The researchers observed normal ranges of vitamin A in 19%, normal ranges of active vitamin B12 in 23% and normal ranges of vitamin E concentrations in 67%. The remaining percentages all exhibited above normal ranges. Vitamin D was in a normal range in 85% of the children, the remaining 15% had lower than average levels. 

The most consistently observed anomalies were seen in the trace elements, specifically:

  • Zinc, 35% were deficient, while 5% had above normal ranges


  • Copper, 7% were deficient, while 6% had above normal ranges


  • Folate, 3% were deficient


  • Selenium, just 1% were deficient, while 14% had above normal ranges


Whether above normal ranges or deficiencies were observed, the researchers’ conclusion was clear. Many trace element blood concentrations were not where they should ideally be and this could lead to numerous ongoing health complications, not only related specifically to the kidney, but also those related to healthy development, sleep cycle, bone and skin health, among many others. The researchers also emphasized the importance of monitoring Vitamin D and Zinc concentrations especially and also suggested targeted supplementation in lieu of a multivitamin, which may inadvertently tilt levels in the wrong direction. For more of the most important kidney related news and studies, be sure to check out our YouTube, now updated with fresh, new content daily!